The stairs and entry are simple. The stairs rise in three wide runs with just a handrail and no balusters. Around 1814 the enclosed porch was added at the front door, expanding the front hall.
Hanging in front of the stairs is a fire bucket marked, “George Russell – W. C. F. S.”. The initials stand for West Cambridge Fire Society, to which every homeowner would subscribe or risk not having the bucket brigade come to his aide when needed.